The Lunar Cycle
Scientifically speaking, there are 8 phases that the moon goes through as it travels through the sky.
- New Moon – The night sky is completely dark, and the moon cannot be seen with the naked eye.
- Waxing Crescent – A small sliver of the moon starts to become visible. Think “God’s Thumbnail” here.
- First Quarter Moon- The moon is halfway to being full!
- Waxing Gibbous- The moon is almost full. About 3/4 of the moon is visible in the sky.
- Full Moon – Pretty self explanatory.
- Waning Gibbous- The part of the moon that is visible is beginning to shrink.
- Last Quarter Moon – The moon is halfway to being dark.
- Waning Crescent – The last sliver of the moon is still visible as a crescent shape in the sky before returning to a New Moon and starting the cycle over again.
What Science Says
The idea that the phases of the moon isn’t just some old wive’s tale meant to spook small children, some of it is based in hard, scientific fact.
For instance, it’s common knowledge that the gravitational pull of the moon is responsible for the ebb and flow of our ocean’s tides. But, did you ALSO know that it can affect your body’s performance?
In a study published in Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research found that our hearts are at peak performance when exercising during the full and the new moon!
Another study published in the Journal of Urology found that kidney stone pain greatly increased significantly at the time of the full moon. So, be on the lookout for that, I guess.
Witchy Life Tips
The beginning of the lunar cycle. During this time the moon is completely in line with the sun and the earth. The New Moon represents newness and rejuvenation. Now is a good time for rituals involving new beginnings of any sort, beauty, health, personal improvement and optimism.
The Waxing Moon gets larger every night, and so it is a good time to focus on work that requires any kind of growth. The Waxing Moon is rad for rituals involving courage, motivation, inspiration, friendship, elemental magic, healing, and luck. It is a period of positive transformation, so use it to bring abundance into your life!
The Full Moon is the most potent moon. It’s awesome for performing positive spells and for artistic projects, love and romance, fertility, psychic abilities, or making decisions. It can also be good for healing, guidance, completion spells, protection, sexuality and manifesting desires
The Waning Moon is getting smaller and so is a good time to do spells to remove things from your life. It’s dope for casting out old ways, banishing, ridding yourself of old habits, and the removal of troubles and worries.
Go forth and educate, my friends!